NYSERDA’s Clean Energy Communities Program: Looking Back and Forging Ahead
It’s hard to believe that it is closing in on three years since NYSERDA launched the Clean Energy Communities (CEC) Program. HVRC’s team of CEC Coordinators have been a locally engaged, boots-on-the-ground presence in the Mid-Hudson Region since 2016. We provided, and continue to provide, significant technical assistance to municipalities in their pursuit of the 10 High Impact Actions that they can benefit from under the CEC Program, as well as CEC grants and related funding opportunities.
From smaller actions, such as adoption of the NYS Unified Solar Permit, to large and impactful ones, such as Community Choice Aggregation and Climate Smart Communities Certification, there are many opportunities for our team to support your community!
We have many local successes to share:
- Ulster County
- Ulster County was the first municipality state-wide to complete four High Impact Actions and become a ‘designated’ Clean Energy Community! They received a $250,000 NYSERDA Block 1 CEC grant.
- CEC Grants
- Close to 40 municipalities in our region have become ‘designated’ Clean Energy Communities, and many have received CEC grants ranging from $5,000 to $250,000.
- GHG Inventories & Climate Action Plans
- HVRC recently completed an innovative pilot program, the Climate Action Planning Institute, which was developed and deployed last year. The Institute supported eight local governments in completion of their Government GHG Emissions Inventories and in initial development of their local Climate Action Plans. We highlighted this project in a state-wide webinar on February 27, 2019.
- Climate Smart Communities Program
- This NYS DEC-administered program is one of the ten High Impact Action under the CEC program.
- Dozens of communities in our region are gearing up to become certified Climate Smart Communities (CSCs), in part by appointing local CSC Coordinators and Task Forces.
- The Village of Nyack is the newest community to achieve Climate Smart Communities certification in our region!
- The 2019 CSC grants are now available.
- Electric Vehicles & EV Charging Stations
- Many communities are installing publicly accessible EV charging stations (see the PlugShare map) and also capturing the benefits of deploying fleets EVs, and they are accessing available resources and funding to do so.